Presentation

This blog is a translation of my original blog, written in French (publication dates are kept).

December 16, 2009

Last news of the summit

Being there, I took the opportunity to go to the big demonstration on Saturday, you've probably heard of in the media last weekend. The procession started under a beautiful blue sky from Christiansborg Palace in the heart of the city, to finish at the Bella Center, a nice little walk. We were between 30 000 and 100 000 according to the sources. Here are some quick pictures:

Riddle: what did the sign carriers get for dinner?

Review: it was a kind of big catch-all, everyone demanded something different. The procession was not only composed of anti-globalization or Greenpeace activists, but of any kind of people from everywhere. The atmosphere was generally peaceful and friendly, unlike what you probably saw on TV, where they only speak about the naughty-masked-guys-who-break-everything.

About the daily life here, I admit that it's special right now, especially this week, the atmosphere of the city is a quite unusual. The first thing one can notice, besides the exhibitions, is the incredible number of policemen patrolling in the streets. There was even some who came to the control center with their dogs for sniffing the server room, in the case of there would be a bomb ... And they are also above our heads! Actually, I'm starting getting kind of tired of hearing this herd of purring helicopters flying over us 24/24. I let you calculate how much CO2 those damn devices will have rejected in the atmosphere by the end of the conference.

Regarding the affrays, they are happening at the Bella Center, which seems to be besieged (*). I talked to people who went there, you have to queue for an incredible time to enter. But I did not even try to check it out, apparently the subway doesn't stop there anymore. And then on Thursday and Friday, with the agglutination of great leaders of this world, the public transportation will have the good old taste of their Parisian counterpart during a strike. So I don't have the choice, I must take my bike. Unfortunately for me, at this very moment, Copenhagen is covered with a brand new white coat. Why did I decide to fly on Friday, uh?

(*) Check your friend G*** instead of believing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment